There were four main stages to creating our own media product, the research, planning, construction and evaluation. Throughout all of these four stages we used the website www.blogger.com as a collaborative e-portfolio of our work.
Below is a list of aspects of the project which having a e-portfolio helped us with:
• Record of thoughts/ideas.
• Ability to read other group members thoughts and ideas.
• Record of conversations.
• Ability to share research each other.
• Share location ‘reccie’ photographs and ideas.
• The benefits of web 2.0 to gather information and share information.
The Blog also enabled us to post preliminary filming sessions which helped us re-familiarise ourselves with the editing software and the equipment such as the tripod, camera and camera accessories.
We used web 2.0 to communicate with each other about the project when we weren’t at school, we used YouTube to post video clips with relevant information for each other to see, and this sped up the whole planning process. An example of this was the animatic, to create the animatic we drew each shot planned for our music video on to a time line. We then filmed each shot from the paper and imported it into Adobe Premier, this allowed us to put music to the pictures and get an idea of what our video would look like before we made it.
Web 2.0 also allowed us to consume existing media products and analyse them. We could then post them on the Blog so other members of the group could learn what we had learnt from analysing them. The Blog also allowed us to use images and video which helped get our message across more easily. Another aspect of the research which web 2.0 helped with was the audience research. We created surveys using survey monkey which helped us learn about our target audience and gave us guidance before creating our video.
On Set Techniques:
•Used the weight of the tripod as a steady cam.
•To pan smoothly, held the tripod not by handle but by stem.
•To get greater sweeping movement held bottom of tripod legs and panned.
•When crabbing bent knees and used arms as shock absorbers to keep the shot steady.
•Prepared camera with waterproofing during time lapse in case it rained.
•Made sure tripod was attached and camera was still for time lapse section.
•Recorded many takes of each shot to ensure a good shot was taken.
Construction of Video:
• We used time stretch speed up and slow down clips to make them in time with the music.
• Sped up time lapse.
• Used sound visualization to cut video on beat.
• We shot the same sequence twice from different angles and then placed them on top of each other, cutting between the two shots made the sequence more interesting.
• Use of reverse speed to show impossible physics.
• We used the dip to black transition between showing the man in the jumpsuit and then the man in the real suit to make the cut much more fluid.
• We used jump cuts to show the passing of time as the boy walks outside of the church.
• We have used both fade in and out on video and sound for a better transition to the start and finish of the piece.
• We oversaturated the video in places to 200% which gave the video a really rich look.
• We also used gamma correction to brighten the over saturated shots up. This was set to about 80% apart from the band shots which were set lower at about 60% to show they were different.
• We also increased the contrast in the performance shots.
• We changed the brightness levels independently in each clip so that they matched throughout the video.
• We used colour correction to reduce the red in some shots by setting Red = 80%, Green = 100%, Blue = 100%.
• We used the sound wave visualization for the lip synching and instrument synching.
Construction of Print Media: